Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble
What you need
For the casserole:
- 3.5 lbs sweet potatoes (about 10 cups or 4 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 tbsp butter (or vegan butter)
- ¼ cup Copra coconut nectar
- ¼ cup Copra coconut milk, defrosted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt & cinnamon (optional)
For the crumble topping
- 1 cup pecans
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 4.5 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Plenty of cinnamon
step by step
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into medium size chunks.
- Place in a large pot with water and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
- Bring pot to a boil then lower to medium/high and boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- In the meantime prepare your crumble. Add all crumble ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined (or you can do by hand just make sure you use pecan pieces). You still want chunks! Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once potatoes are done, drain and place in your mixing bowl along with 2 tbsp butter. Using your paddle attachment, mix until smooth. Next add in the maple syrup, coconut milk, coconut nectar, vanilla, sea salt & cinnamon. Mix until smooth & creamy. (Alternatively you can mash/mix by hand or use a blender/food processor in batches).
- Place your sweet potato mixture into a casserole dish and smooth out. Add your crumble topping so it's evenly distributed. If you want, add a handful of extra chopped pecans on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve
**You can make this a day ahead of time. Keep sweet potato mixture and crumble separate. Heat up sweet potato mixture in the oven for 20 minutes or until heated through (since it will be cool from being in the fridge) and then add your crumble and cook until golden brown.