Meatless Meatballs in Coconut Turmeric Sauce
What you need
For the meatballs:
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cold
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten (see note below for a vegan option)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp allspice powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (to pan fry the meatballs)
For the coconut turmeric sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1″ fresh ginger root, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Aleppo Pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup Copra coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
step by step
- Combine all the meatball ingredients (except the vegetable oil for pan frying) in a large bowl and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium high heat for 7-8 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes. Add turmeric, salt, black and Aleppo pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice and vegetable broth and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro, remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the meatballs, heat the vegetable oil in a separate skillet. Working with 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture at a time, form about 22 meatballs. Arrange them in the skillet and cook over medium heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Before serving, place the meatballs in the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes (if the sauce has thickened too much, you can add a little water to get the desired consistency).
- Serve warm over rice or quinoa.
**To make these meatless meatballs vegan , replace each egg for 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. Mix ground flax and water well and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to meatless meatball mixture